Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 133 of Thanksgiving...

133/232
Today I am so very Thankful for White Hair!  At 55, white hair was surely not one of my dreams or desires - it definitely ages me and no matter how many times I am told I can pull it off - it is still not what most anyone would chose.  But - I do chose hair and I am glad I have hair - as a female being without hair is tough and I surely don't have one of those faces that could pull off that look - trust me!  So I stopped the coloring process a little over four years ago and it was tough.  I plucked my first greys at 16 and it only increased from there.  I started covering it with color at 25!  How exhausting and frustrating because I have that lovely kind of white that is very resistant to the color and it was always peeping out and saying Nana-BooBoo at me in the mirror or any picture.  But I still continued the dance and the futile process of trying to pretend that it wasn't so.  But when it started to thin and I could see the pink scalp peeping out instead of white and grey hair, I decided it was time to call a truce.  Now I am not going to tell you that I am in love with this compromise and at least daily I think um maybe I should try color again.....but good sense prevails and I chose hair.  All of this sounds so trivial and not so noteworthy but I believe it is part of the process of Becoming - as in the Velveteen Rabbit - the years and the love of life show in my face and my hair and I have given in to the worn look of becoming - I did not go quietly but go I did.  At times I tell myself that the white glistens in the right light somewhat like the golden locks I used to dream of - if you squint a little.  Another plus is I get senior discounts without even having to pull out my driver's license - how cool is that??  On a side note - hubby has beautiful white hair and he still looks young and handsome - distinguished - how fair is that??


No comments:

Post a Comment